DROP ZONE 2 BROKEN?

Suggestions and ideas for the site, competitions, or other constructive critiques.
LSJKratos
PSN: Darth_Faptos

Re: DROP ZONE 2 BROKEN?

Post#11 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:00 pm

@
QuasarCatch
No problem, man. You have valid points. Main reason I brought up Melee in particular was because they did have to ban items, certain stages, etc. That said, you are right in that a shooter is definitely a whole different type of game in comparison and deciding which guns should be banned or not banned does play a big factor in competitions. That discussion can get very deep, but for the most part it usually just comes down to one side arguing for "diversity" and the other arguing for "balance". On SWBF2(for the PS2), we went for more balance but the class system on that game made it a bit easier to get to that point. Whereas with the new Star Wars Battlefront, there's a ton of weapons, starcards(triangles included), and it becomes very difficult to find a balance in all that.

We will keep working toward finding that perfect sweet spot of course though.

Snide_Snyder
Clan Tag: CwS
PSN: Snide_Snyder

Post#12 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:11 pm

mmmm sweet spot.

LSJKratos
PSN: Darth_Faptos

Post#13 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:13 pm

Snide_Snyder wrote:mmmm sweet spot.

Kreygasm

gl in the championship vs r.

Snide_Snyder
Clan Tag: CwS
PSN: Snide_Snyder

Post#14 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:22 pm

Thanks man. Trying to get on to get some much needed practice but, RIP PSN lol.

Logic_Scope
PSN: LOGIC--SCOPE

Post#15 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:30 pm

@
QuasarCatch
I know your saying your not trying to be disrespectful and all but how can you disregard the winner of the tournemant? The rules don't compress the skill gap that greatly and the teams with the best skill and teamwork will come on top. The rules are there to enhance teamwork, rather than just gun skill. It adds another layer to the game.

Wicked
Site Admin
Site Admin
Clan Tag: [R]
PSN: Wicked_Bvllet-

Post#16 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:41 pm

If I can step in here as one of the "few' people that worked on some of the rules.

While I can understand where the issue is, and quite frankly I do agree there should be more involved people deciding the rules. My concern thus far is that I feel like the backlash is solely because the triangles were allowed. If we look back at Drop Zone 1, there was no complaints at all the rules were being 'rigged' by players on teams. And in fact, a team that had no say at the time in the rules won that tournament. The cargo tournament the admins, who have made all rules prior in our 9 year history, made the rules for the cargo tournament. Again, no backlash due to no DLC being in play yet due to our rule in place about DLC as well as no triangles being allowed in the tournament whatsoever.

Now, that people dont like the rules made, there is backlash and outrage over something that honestly really just in my opinion, adds more strategy to the game. I just find it interesting that the outrage starts when someone doesn't like the rules, and instead of just asking for it to be fixed next tournament, decides to just "boycott" the whole community. That does nothing for the state of the game.

As mentioned earlier. I believe,
We already have future procedures implemented to accomodate for the community's wish to have a more democratic in the decision of the rules. The people do have a voice and we have heard you. I feel like the creator of this topic may have been misinformed to make a post now in the tournament. More timely that its right before the final.

Regardless, as stressed repeatedly in the post, we are changing what we're doing to accommodate the players which is as you have all requested. I appreciate the post though as you did outline some of the thoughts and feelings of one side of the player base which is always appreciated.

Edit: I did not realize there was a second page with further conversation. Though my statement still does apply even if it is just further reinforcing what has been already stated. Apologies.
Image x5

QuasarCatch

Post#17 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:33 pm

@
Logic_Scope
Not that I am declaring myself holier than thou or anything but I have played a lot of competitive gaming for the last 10 years. Whether it's MW2, Halo, SOCOM, (mostly console, lol), the environment and the skill in order to win is palpable;

There is a reason why the Battlefront population is so low. People are leaving it because of the lack of competitive factors: The very existence of a personal shield, explosive shot, scan pulse aka wall hacks, a quick health boost aka adrenaline stim, and then there's the easy kills such as bowcaster, pulse cannons, scatter guns etc. That's why when you go into a public match, there's a lot of skill gap compression.

When you hop in a public match, get a good score, start thinking you're "elite", its illegitimate;
Because being being good at Battlefront pubs is like saying that a 27 year old man beating with a bunch of little league kids in baseball is good.'

That may not be the best analogy I can give, but what I'm saying is that compared to other shooters, Battlefront was obviously made for children. And in order for it to be competitive it actually has to be from a shooter aspect and not from game changing abilities (Pick Ups, Triangles, set spawns, and anything else that makes this game not competitive).

All in all, although I haven't been able to play a lot of video games lately due to my pursue of a degree, I do get to play Battlefront, Black Ops, and Overwatch in my spare time, I have to say that with all the shooters that I have played and participated competitively in, Star Wars Battlefront has to be the least competitive one. It was literally made for 12 year old kids that were excited for The Force Awakens in December 2015 and EA just took advantage to release their pedestrian, childish game to make sales.

Don't get me wrong, I have a blast playing the game, but in order for it to be competitive, anything that compresses the skill gap just one bit has to be completely removed.

I guess its just a matter of opinion, but just because I won't (and most teams) recognize the winner of this tournament, doesn't mean I'm disrespecting their skill. Maybe they're good even when the skill gap isn't compressed, but I won't know until I watch the next tourney. You are entitled to your own opinion and I respect it, so if you choose to believe that the winner of this tournament is actually skilled, then go ahead. Whatever makes you feel better. As for me (and others), I will stay true to what I believe is competitive gaming.

@
Wicked
I see that you were on of the people that were involved in the rule making. First of all, I just wanted to say that I do not have the intention of disrespecting or insulting how this tournament was made. With slight subjectivity, most of the criticism was objective. I do believe that it is universally understood that everyone should have had a say in the tournament. The reason why I know about this is because I have talked to several people from different teams about this.

The reason why no one spoke out before (Drop Zone I, Cargo) is because the community wasn't bothered enough yet. Like for example (again this a terrible analogy) when Billy tickles his little brother who hates being tickled, at first the little brother's like, "stop haha" but after a few more minutes of tickling he'll be like, "OK STOP DUDE DANG." The SWBFC, although a silent majority, are fed up with it.

As for being misinformed, I am not saying that I am 100% right about everything. However, I have talked to people from five different teams. They gave me the info and that's it. Like, cmon you know that its broken when there's a rule for triangles to be allowed and a large percentage of the community ask for gentleman's rules to take them out. I mean did they really want that? Where was their say?

I would like to say again that it is very difficult to organize the tournament, and you really have to appreciate the people that are passionate enough to deal with all the crap because can we agree that most gaming communities can be toxic? (lol) I do believe that your heart was in the right place and I respect what you're trying to do. I only meant to boycott until everyone had a say on not just the in-game rules but how the tournament was going to be ran, (map selections, admin selections, streamers, etc)

I am also aware that the next tournament will have voting implemented. I am excited for that tournament and anxiously waiting for the winner of that tournament.

Wicked
Site Admin
Site Admin
Clan Tag: [R]
PSN: Wicked_Bvllet-

Post#18 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:25 pm

First off, just one thing I wanted to note. There is a difference between casual and made for kids. But that's all on that topic. While a sample of team did not like the rules, another sample also did like the rules implemented. And we were trying something new. Plus I also do not think a tournament should be discredited for its rules, especially when the rules didnt affect the better teams making it through to playoffs regardless. But to avoid further confrontation, we can agree to disagree on some issues and I am glad, whoever you are, are excited for the next tournament. We made the changes to make the players happy.
Image x5

Logic_Scope
PSN: LOGIC--SCOPE

Post#19 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:21 pm

@
QuasarCatch
the only thing I'm saying is that the rules don't devalue the skill enough to discredit the winners. That's a fact.

xKappYx28
Clan Tag: Ruthless
PSN: KAPPYkilla | R-KappY

Post#20 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:48 pm

Lol what a troll - you made this account the day you posted this topic (Sept. 1st, at 11:34am). Clearly trying to ruffle some feathers here, fail.

grow a pair
PSN - KAPPYkilla | R-KappY
YOUTUBE - https://www.youtube.com/user/xKappYx28
TWITCH - xKappYx28

Return to “Suggestions and Ideas”