Star Wars Battlefront Olympics

Suggestions and ideas for the site, competitions, or other constructive critiques.
HoboMan6525
Analyst
Analyst
Clan Tag: TskT
PSN: HoboMan6525

Star Wars Battlefront Olympics

Post#1 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:45 pm

The Star Wars Battlefront Olympics
Obviously we're still in the middle of a droid run tournament but we'll probably be entering the playoffs for that in the near future and ive been thinking about something really cool that we can do as the next battlefront will be released this winter and the community will be welcoming lots of new players into its arms with the new game and probably this community will gain a lot of attention with the release of the next game. i really want this game to go out swinging. Not that the next tournament will be the last one with the next game still pretty far away but id like to see this at least brought to light before any more of the community fades away from this game, as so many of the competitive players have already began to do.

So I've been thinking this idea over for quite a while and honestly i think itd be a cool way for us to play out, one of the final tournaments before the new EA battlefront game is released. The idea is to have the best players from every country in the battlefront community. I think there's enough to have at least 4 players from each country that the people from that country want to participate. Ive discussed this idea with a few teams including my own and every team that ive talked to it about has really wanted to see it sometime in the future. so without further ado here are my suggestion for the Star Wars Battlefront Olympics.

Team USA rules and guidelines
Obviously there are more Americans in the competitive community than any other county so the idea would be to have 4 American teams. A New England, South eastern, pacific coast, and Midwestern teams (Both Alaskan players and Hawaiian players would qualify for the pacific team). Players coming from any of the states marked in the pacific zone can only qualify for the pacific team and not for any other team as an example. For the use of this illustration Alaska and Hawaii have been qualified for the pacific team and Michigan has qualified for the New England team. (These states are completely negotiable and borders are not set. There is a good chance these borders will change multiple times before they are all agreed on.) *Canadian players do NOT qualify for any of the US teams. There should be enough Canadian players to make a Canadian team*

I have a detailed map of the division of states if its requested i can post

Try Out rules and guidelines
The game mode would depend on what the community votes but Drop Zone or cargo would work best. The Olympics would work in a 6v6 bracket format. With Olympic organizers running a tryout before the team's final rosters are registered. Its suggested that every team have 10 players for subs but the maximum battle size needs to be met. This prevents playing just the best 4 and instead allows for bigger battles and more competition. Tryouts will be held by an unbiased overseer who will collect data from each player’s performance. Players will be measured on objective play, (objectives captured and points per match) Gun game (overall KD ratio) and overall strategy and team play (a skill observed by the overseer). Tryouts will be organized into pickup scrim format. Meaning the teams will be split up and the overseer will attempt to balance the teams based on KD. (it is suggested that every player has a mic, a serious deduction will occur if players do not have a mic)The teams will be split into 2 parties and at least one overseer will be in each team’s party. (Overseers must spectate the match but cannot provide any Intel or help to the teams. It is preferred that the overseer mutes his/her mic during the matches) The first match will not be counted to a player's overall score. after the first match the overseer will balance the teams according to what the overseer saw in the first unscored match. After the scrims (overseer should run at least 3-5 scrims more if he/she feels necessary) each player will be ranked based on a system to be established after further discussion. After this data is collected the 10 best players will be contacted and added to the team. If for some reason one of the players can not be on the Olympic team for his/her country then the next player down the list will be contacted (this process will be continued until an active 10 man roster can be completed) After each region/country has its 10 man roster teams will be registered for the tournament and placements will be randomized.

Scheduling
Bracket matches should all be done over weekends as it is much simpler to organize times on those days. If a team and its opponent cannot reach a time decision because of the drastic difference in time zones opponents should be swapped. However team placement should be randomized instead of placement by times. Randomization means that not all the European teams and not all the american teams will be knocking out each other in the first round. Basically randomization allows for varied competition and more entertaining match ups. If there are not enough players to make a team for a county but those players still want to represent their country then region teams may be a valid substitute.

Rules
I propose a new set of rules that will remove all cards in game except for the jump pack. As usual the committee would vote on weapons but i suggest the ban of all dlc weapons. It could be suggested that the ee3, se-14c, and dh-17 be banned but that is entirely up to the community. Following these rules will leave players with nothing but a jump pack and a blaster. If these rules are a problem the Drop Zone 3 rules could be used for this tournament but the community should probably vote on the rules so that the most skillful and balanced competition can be reached.

Player registration guidelines
If a player wants to participate they must sign up for the country that they currently have permanent residence in.Even If the player has spent the majority of their life in a certain country but currently hold permanent residence in another country then they must participate for that country. The only exception is if the player has not spent more than one year in the country of their current residence then they represent the country in which they have lived the longest. Country that the player wishes to participate for(if it meets the above stated regulations) must be provided upon the sign up for tryouts .

This is an extremely rough draft of just what i want to see in an upcoming tournament. Everything stated above is completely open to discussion and feel free to point out anything wrong with this plan or one of the many ways it can be improved. I just really want to see in the near future a battlefront olympics. Every clan i have talked to about this, including my own, has seemed to think that this was a really great idea and should be done at some point in the near future. Thanks
"There's always a bigger fish."

Mike
Public Relations Admin
Public Relations Admin
PSN: Mike_Fullerton

Re: Star Wars Battlefront Olympics

Post#2 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:19 pm

So I'll probably respond to the other parts another time, but my main question would be why do you think it would be better to have teams based on geographic location / country rather than groups the competitors can chose on their own? Or were you thinking more of this as a tourney that runs at the same time alongside as a more typical clan tourney?

HoboMan6525
Analyst
Analyst

Post#3 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:43 pm

Mainly just as a change of pace from the normal clan tournaments. Its kind of just a fun way to play one of the final tournaments in the game. It could be run along with a normal tournament but the idea was for this to take up the place of a normal tournament. I think it'll take players out of their comfort zone and put their teamwork and communication to the test as they compete with a brand new team that they may have never worked with before to represent their region. It may also help some of the players on less experienced teams who have talent and experience and want a chance to go above and beyond the limits of their current team
@
Mike

Mike
Public Relations Admin
Public Relations Admin

Post#4 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:39 pm

I think that's a pretty good answer to my first question actually.

Another issue I see is that you are suggesting a lot of setup and organization for each team here. I think 6v6 can work if the rosters are big enough, but I wouldn't do tryouts if I wanted the battles to be that big. The tryouts would basically be half of the whole process. Each country / region would need 3 - 5 scrimmages played with 2 more people spectating. This will take a long time, and we would need a lot of help.

I feel like many regions wouldn't get 10 people. Cutting people in the tryouts would make things harder when the time comes that the matches have to happen and 12 people all need to be at their PS4s at the same time. Its better to have as many backups as possible I think. However you could be going for something like... since you don't need a clan / team to sign up, then many more random people who have never played in a tournament before will join up because its easier to be sorted into a team rather than making one. That could lead to a situation where there are so many people signing up that we do need to have the tryout process, I can see this potentially happening.

If this were to happen, I would imagine the whole setup and tryout process having to take place during the next tournament, and then this actual bracket would happen once the tryouts were done. If we were to start this right after Droid Run is over, there would be a longer wait than normal until the next tourney matches happen.

HoboMan6525
Analyst
Analyst

Post#5 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:47 pm

So you're suggesting just an open signup where players would signup for their country and then if we have a whole bunch of people then there can be cuts made by try outs? I like the idea of an open signup actually more that way it may encourage more people to try their hand at being on the team and it may be necessary to have a larger than 10 man roster just because of the flexibility of the match scheduling. So based on your suggestion a try out would only be run if there were so many people that people did need to be cut? if try outs and set up were to happen during next tournament then you'd need to open sign ups pretty soon so that not only will you know if a tryout is necessary but also if it is necessary you'd need enough time to get all of them done for the regions that need it. You were thinking their may not be enough players for every region but thats where the idea of region teams come into play. As an example lets say that only 4 people signup for France and only 4 signup for Spain. Obviously neither country has the players to run a 6v6 match. The idea would be for those 8 players to merge into a french-Spanish team. You could perhaps call this Team Pyrenees after the mountains that run right between the 2 countries. now obviously this is just an example im well aware that there are obvious language gaps between the 2 countries but it is just an example.
Im pretty sure that enough people would be interested to make teams for at least these countries/ regions
All 4 US teams
Team Canada
Team UK
Team Norway
Team Germany
Team Australia
Team France
Team Mexico
Team Netherlands/Holland
?Team Denmark?
?Team Sweden?
?Team Finland?
These are just a few countries that i know have at least a few competitive players already active in the community
there could be need for a merge for Sweden-Norway-Finland team (possibly called team Scandinavia for the Scandinavian peninsula) so just counting the ones without question marks thats 12 teams and the ones with question marks im not sure about but theres also many other countries who could have enough competitive players to make a team. this tournament could also, as you said, encourage normally noncompetitive players who may not play competitive due to not having a clan to participate for may get encouraged to sign up for their country. @
Mike

Mike
Public Relations Admin
Public Relations Admin

Post#6 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:01 pm

HoboMan6525 wrote:So you're suggesting just an open signup where players would signup for their country and then if we have a whole bunch of people then there can be cuts made by try outs? I like the idea of an open signup actually more that way it may encourage more people to try their hand at being on the team and it may be necessary to have a larger than 10 man roster just because of the flexibility of the match scheduling.

Wait hold on I thought that's what you were thinking. How were you thinking of doing signups before I said that? I was imagining a signup thread where players put their PSN, and country they live in, and also put what state they live in if they are USA. How were you imagining it?

Based on my suggestion you would still do the tryouts though I think, because you had mentioned wanting to try and send the best 6. So you would still need to have one on any team that had more than 6 I guess.

I like the combing region ideas. All that would be on a case by case basis. You would have to look at the numbers before making the regions for certain places.

HoboMan6525
Analyst
Analyst

Post#7 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:22 pm

sorry i had the same idea i was just making sure we were both seeing it the same way. I meant open joining without tryouts? Bit i get what youre saying now. okay yeah but maybe try out for the best 6 or so but not put a roster limit at 10 only limit rosters if there are a huge amount of people signup this way you can always have enough subs in case not everyone can make it. @
Mike

HoboMan6525
Analyst
Analyst

Post#8 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:54 am

Another suggestion was left with me and i thought id add it here. This suggestion asked that the first tryout match not be organized by KD. They also asked that the try out matches be explained a little more. So the try outs will start with the players getting in contact with the overseer and preparing for the scrim. My idea had it so that the teams for the first (unscored unranked) match be determined by a balance of KD's. This was simply to keep the first map as even as possible for both teams since theres a good chance that some competitively inexperienced players could be signing up those players the overseer would not know how well theyve performed in the past so there would need to be some way to balance the teams. This person recommended that only new players be split up by KD and previous competitive players be separated by the overseer seeing as how the overseer would know how good those players are. Honestly i dont think it matters that much since that first match is only to help the overseer balance the teams and will not count towards any of the players final scores or rankings when trying out. Someone else suggested that past competitive players past performances not be taken into account when scoring and ranking. I agree with this but i dont think i made it clear in my original post. So, this simply means that there will be a clean slate when qualifying for the team. For example if youve been on the winning team for the past 3 tournaments and have performed incredibly well, that will not benefit you in the tryouts. When qualifying past performance does not affect whether or not you make the team thats why an unbiased overseer is needed anyways. It would be unfair to new players if past competitive players got a huge bonus in the ranking. hope this clears up some things. Of course a tryout may not be necessary for qualifying but only for the starting 6 that may be how it would be ran if not a huge amount of players sign up.

Return to “Suggestions and Ideas”