Potential Multi-Mode SWBF 3 Tourney Brainstorming Ideas

Suggestions and ideas for the site, competitions, or other constructive critiques.
iiGoHamOnYou
Posts: 51
Clan Tag: MMR
PSN: iiGoHamOnYou
Contact:

Re: Potential Multi-Mode SWBF 3 Tourney Brainstorming Ideas

Post#21 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:46 am

In my opinion Blast and HvV should not be involved in this tournament at all.

Heres another idea for the order of which the game modes should be played.

GAME MODE ROTATION

Game 1- Dropzone
Game 2- Cargo
Game 3- Droid Run
Game 4- Dropzone
Game 5- Cargo

If anyone has problems with the order of which game mode will be played can be fixed by creating a poll on the site to decide if cargo should be played game 2 and 5 or if Dropzone should be game 2 and 5.

There can also be a possibility of alternating cargo and Dropzone for game 5 each round in the tournament . So for example the first round we play cargo games 2 and 5 and the second round we play Dropzone games 2 and 5. The third round we play cargo game 2 and 5. And continue that rotation until the tournament is over.

I don't really like the idea of teams choosing which game modes they want to play because it defeats the whole purpose of competition. The tournament should prove who is the best team overall at each game mode by promoting fair gameplay for everyone. If we have teams choose want they want to play, the higher seeded team would have a huge advantage by picking their preferred game modes.

MAPS

Group stage, playoffs, semis, and finals with different preselected maps for each round posted before the tournament starts so teams will be on scrimming those maps during those weeks preparing for their tournament matches.
Image

User avatar
Mike
Public Relations Admin
Public Relations Admin
Posts: 1058
PSN: Mike_Fullerton

Re: Potential Multi-Mode SWBF 3 Tourney Brainstorming Ideas

Post#22 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:28 pm

iiGoHamOnYou wrote:In my opinion Blast and HvV should not be involved in this tournament at all.

I agree with you about HvV, Blast I don't really care either way.
iiGoHamOnYou wrote:GAME MODE ROTATION

Game 1- Dropzone
Game 2- Cargo
Game 3- Droid Run
Game 4- Dropzone
Game 5- Cargo

If anyone has problems with the order of which game mode will be played can be fixed by creating a poll on the site to decide if cargo should be played game 2 and 5 or if Dropzone should be game 2 and 5.

I think we could just make a decision without even polling it, but I see what you mean. I am okay with this order or your first order. I still agree that if we did it this way Droid Run should only be played once because it's the least popular.
iiGoHamOnYou wrote:There can also be a possibility of alternating cargo and Dropzone for game 5 each round in the tournament . So for example the first round we play cargo games 2 and 5 and the second round we play Dropzone games 2 and 5. The third round we play cargo game 2 and 5. And continue that rotation until the tournament is over.

That could maybe be interesting, it would be more simple to leave it the same throughout, but different order could mean teams get a better start with momentum if their preferred mode is map 1 or something maybe.
iiGoHamOnYou wrote:I don't really like the idea of teams choosing which game modes they want to play because it defeats the whole purpose of competition. The tournament should prove who is the best team overall at each game mode by promoting fair gameplay for everyone. If we have teams choose want they want to play, the higher seeded team would have a huge advantage by picking their preferred game modes.

So in the other ideas, the higher seeded team wouldn't pick the mode every time, just on maps 1 and 3 (or 1, 3, and 5 if we did best of 5). The lower seeded team will still get to pick their map and mode for map 2 ( or 2 and 4 if we did best of 5). I don't think the advantage would be large. Basically with your idea faction picks are what's picked for advantages but with the other idea it would be mode and map picks also. I don't think it would be very different in terms of higher seed earning too much of an advantage than your idea. The thing to be careful about the Cargo factions though. Teams would avoid picking the heavy faction advantage maps anyway. The other ideas are very similar to the Cargo 2 and 3 formats pretty much.

If you were saying that we get a more even game mode distribution in your idea then you're probably right. Droid Run would get played every single match with your idea, but if teams were picking modes, it probably won't get played too often.
iiGoHamOnYou wrote:Group stage, playoffs, semis, and finals with different preselected maps for each round posted before the tournament starts so teams will be on scrimming those maps during those weeks preparing for their tournament matches.
Yes, that works much better than a per week basis, this would be fine. Only thing is it would just be difficult to pick what maps in particular to preset because if we had a group stage most of the tourney would be on those maps. But that would be something to figure out afterwards anyway.
Image

User avatar
HoboMan6525
Analyst
Analyst
Posts: 49
Clan Tag: TskT
PSN: HoboMan6525
Contact:

Re: Potential Multi-Mode SWBF 3 Tourney Brainstorming Ideas

Post#23 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:37 am

I would still rather chose what gamemode i want to play. If neither team A or B want to play droid run then they shouldnt have too. If you do a match between AC and RIS,AC will pick DZ and RIS will pick cargo anyways so what the point in making them play modes they dont want to play anyways. There DZ teams and cargo teams in this community so chances are its either every map will be DZ or itll be DZ and cargo alternating anyways
"There's always a bigger fish."

TouchMyWookie
Posts: 54
Clan Tag: Touch
PSN: TouchMyW00KlE

Re: Potential Multi-Mode SWBF 3 Tourney Brainstorming Ideas

Post#24 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:29 pm

That's why it's a multi mode tourney hobo. It's who's the best at ALL 3 game modes. Modes should be set per round. No picking of modes. Maps can be either set or picked per round. You proved my point when you said a.c. and ris would pick certain modes. We don't want that!
Image

Image

DropZone 3 Champions

Droid Run 1 Champions

Cargo 3 Champions

Render eSports Cargo Champions

1st Place Gamebattles Winter '16

iiGoHamOnYou
Posts: 51
Clan Tag: MMR
PSN: iiGoHamOnYou
Contact:

Re: Potential Multi-Mode SWBF 3 Tourney Brainstorming Ideas

Post#25 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:14 pm

TouchMyWookie wrote:That's why it's a multi mode tourney hobo. It's who's the best at ALL 3 game modes. Modes should be set per round. No picking of modes. Maps can be either set or picked per round. You proved my point when you said a.c. and ris would pick certain modes. We don't want that!



Exactly.

There is always going to be an advantage or disadvantage in any competition.
To add on to what Wookie says, I'd like to use an example from Call of Duty tournaments. The reason I always use CoD is because it is the biggest eSports game on console today alongside Gears of War and Halo 5, which are all extremely similar with tournament rules set.
In Call of Duty there are 3 majority game modes that are played competitively at the moment- Uplink, Hardpoint and Search and Destory. The least favored game mode in the community by far is Uplink so that is usually played game 3 in a best of 5 game modes.
The reason I say this is because Hardpoint and Search and Destory are played a majority of the time in competitive.

When you watch streams with players in competitive Call of Duty play they get their teams ready weeks before a tournament. They practice their weakest game modes over and over to get better. Why? Because they can't make their own rules and pick a game mode or map to favor them. They have to be well rounded with team work, communication, knowledge and gun skill.

Before tournaments start, teams will purposely stop scrimming each other at Search and Destroy, to keep opposing teams from gaining knowledge of their strategies. We already do this in Battlefront. I see final four teams play each other less and less in scrims. I also see teams or players stop streaming or uploading videos weeks before a tournament semi finals/finals.


I just want to ask teams to please be open to new ideas. I wish we as a community can get to that point someday where is more competitive play than casual. We aren't back in the PlayStation 2 era anymore guys. EA's Battlefront series will be around a very long time and eSports has come a long way. Gentlemens agreements, map selections, and game mode selections were great ideas don't get me wrong but aren't too competitive. Those rules are rarely seen in third person and first person competitive gaming and if they are allowed it's on a ban and protect basis. This format that I am proposing is honestly the most fair by far. It's just some teams don't want to adapt and stay on one game mode, which I understand.

As far as the length of a best of 5 game modes match. I am sure 8 out of 10 battlefront competitive players can set aside an extra hour into a tournament match. The players on most of these teams play the game for a much longer period of time. A best of 5 in my opionion solidifies a teams dominance over another and shows a true winner.
If time is an issue maybe we can do a best of 3 for group stage teams and best of 5 for playoffs. I am sure no team that makes playoffs will have any problem with that.
Image

User avatar
Mike
Public Relations Admin
Public Relations Admin
Posts: 1058
PSN: Mike_Fullerton

Re: Potential Multi-Mode SWBF 3 Tourney Brainstorming Ideas

Post#26 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:11 pm

iiGoHamOnYou wrote:I just want to ask teams to please be open to new ideas. I wish we as a community can get to that point someday where is more competitive play than casual. We aren't back in the PlayStation 2 era anymore guys. EA's Battlefront series will be around a very long time and eSports has come a long way.

So those decisions weren't made only because of the history of PS2. In fact, this game is so devoid of features and options compared to SWBF2 that they are almost a necessity.
iiGoHamOnYou wrote:Gentlemens agreements, map selections, and game mode selections were great ideas don't get me wrong but aren't too competitive. Those rules are rarely seen in third person and first person competitive gaming and if they are allowed it's on a ban and protect basis. This format that I am proposing is honestly the most fair by far. It's just some teams don't want to adapt and stay on one game mode, which I understand.

Don't expect gentleman's agreements to go anywhere, if two teams want to do some non-standard rules which we might think are dumb to settle their match, we can't really tell them not to. If we did, the losing team essentially just forfeits anyway so it's the same result. So few teams make use of them that I don't think it takes anything away.

In terms of the fairness of picking maps / modes and presetting them being competitive or not, I really think you are making it out to be a very large difference when it is actually very small. Teams don't pick all the maps, they still have to play their opponent's best map at least once. Only problem is that there are an odd number of games. If this was your stance, it would have been same for Cargo 2 and 3. I argue that teams will have more issue with us arbitrarily setting maps than with taking turns picking one. I do not think the format of something like idea one is significantly less competitive than presetting maps. The difference is negligible I think, but I do think Cargo factions on certain maps are an easy counter argument to both ideas. Those are the most significant picks and ideally it would be more fair to play both sides, like I was saying in idea 2, but I understand that it takes longer and is probably a little more boring.

In summary though I don't really care if we preset them or let teams pick them, just basically that I don't think the difference is huge. I think your point should be that what you are suggesting would force teams to play a larger variety of modes, guaranteed. And that would certainly be more neat in terms of seeing variety. Whereas if teams pick their modes, we probably won't see a lot of Droid Run because so few teams seem to enjoy it.

Side note, if we did preset maps would anyone actually read the rules to check what they were, lol.

iiGoHamOnYou wrote:As far as the length of a best of 5 game modes match. I am sure 8 out of 10 battlefront competitive players can set aside an extra hour into a tournament match. The players on most of these teams play the game for a much longer period of time. A best of 5 in my opionion solidifies a teams dominance over another and shows a true winner.
If time is an issue maybe we can do a best of 3 for group stage teams and best of 5 for playoffs. I am sure no team that makes playoffs will have any problem with that.

I agree with you that playing 5 maps shouldn't be too bad. I am used to playing very long tournament matches and expecting them to take a long time, but recently there have been a lot of postponed matches and a lot of "we need to start by this time or else we're not playing" kind of statements happening. Most teams appear time constrained from what I see. I am fine with either setup for multi mode, as long at the format we settle on can be adjusted for either 3 or 5. There will be a big variety of maps to choose from so it wouldn't be a problem doing best of 5 at a certain stage.

EDIT: Gonna just put up the poll with Ham's idea as the format now.
Image

Return to “Suggestions and Ideas”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron

Login  •  Register