Ladder Set-Up Discussion Topic

Suggestions and ideas for the site, competitions, or other constructive critiques.
ROACHCLASS
Clan Tag: [SC]
PSN: SuicidalRoach

Re: Ladder Set-Up Discussion Topic

Post#21 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:01 am

My two cents

Cargo shouldn't have to be played as its been stated that a good percentage of the time it ends in a time. Also, having to play the map twice just enforces the point of cargo not being competitive.

I feel like triangle cards should be allowed or an option should be implemented to have them on/off or certain ones banned if both teams agree. Same goes for the mode being played, should be able to play all cargo, all drop zone or a random mix, however teams want to play.

As for the hard times deadline that shouldn't be an issue for the ladder. Like if you wanted to play a match an hour from now if another team accepted/agreed to the match, they HAVE TO PLAY. No and if or buts. If not, they forfeit.

Bans on guns I'm torn. I feel like some guns are OP however I don't feel they should be banned. Like xshot said banning things is a bad policy and opens up a can of worms however certain things need to be banned to make it fair. Having played competitively for a long time on multiple (10+ games) I can safely say that bans have led to a lot of other stupid things being proposed to be banned like "well this is banned so why isn't this banned?"

Like I've said to Mike and Tie, I'm all for helping the site establish a rule set/map set for the ladder. I'm willing to talk about it with the admins and figure out what would be best for everyone.
Twitter: ROACHCLASS
www.twitch.tv/roachclass
Scrub Central - "Believe The Hype"

=BA=Deadman
Clan Tag: =BA=
PSN: DHart14

Post#22 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:29 am

I personally am a fan of cargo and have had a lot of fun this tournament compared to last tournament which banked on partner spawns and team pushes because obviously you spawned 150 m away when your entire team died (but it's probably bc my teams been more successful this tournament too)

For the cargo aggregate, I originally proposed the 10 min half but I liked Lak's idea that it should be 7 min halves more so that way cargo is limited to 14 min and then if the aggregate is a tie then its sudden death. Keep in mind, we could do last chance buzzer beater like basketball if the flag is out at the 7 min point, play until the flag is capped or returned or hockey-esque (just don't start the game until the 7 minute mark and that way noone can dispute if the flag was capped in time or not). Makes for a more balanced while also not too long game

As for banning, DH17 was much more effective last tournament especially when personal shields were allowed. However, I worry if we let personal shields become a thing again then the default class will become jetpack personal shield scatter which I think is more boring than what we have now. The DH17 is still used a good amount in this cargo tournament but E11 and EE3 have become top guns as well because cargo has a bit more distance to some gunfights because you're not just trying to advance all the time like in dropzone where you'd be willing to duck out of a gunfight to move closer to the pod. I feel the triangles banned as default is a good thing still.

As for the class specific type gameplay, it worked wonders on the old games. Delta and I were reminiscing yesterday on who were the top players of each class and I haven't played swbf2 for almost 10 years and I still remembered numerous names for each class from different clans. It's a shame they haven't given us a server browser still. For class specifics, it'd limit a team to one EE3, one E11, one DH17 and one shotgun. EE3 would be forced to use cycler as only starcard, DH 17 would be forced to use scout pistol only, E11 would get nades & ion nades/smoke, shotgun would be only class given jumppack and also given flashbangs. Last time the argument was it forced people into roles so a number of people didn't like it but seeing how cargo has kind of forced us into roles anyway (at least for my team) I don't see how people would want to play cargo and be opposed to class specific loadouts (These would be assigned before the game and you'd only be allowed 1 hand for the entirety of the match) And this would prove who can actually snipe bc pulse cannon op

Imani the Prideful
Clan Tag: R & AA
PSN: TheDuchesss_

Post#23 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:34 am

=BA=Deadman wrote:I personally am a fan of cargo and have had a lot of fun this tournament compared to last tournament which banked on partner spawns and team pushes because obviously you spawned 150 m away when your entire team died (but it's probably bc my teams been more successful this tournament too)

For the cargo aggregate, I originally proposed the 10 min half but I liked Lak's idea that it should be 7 min halves more so that way cargo is limited to 14 min and then if the aggregate is a tie then its sudden death. Keep in mind, we could do last chance buzzer beater like basketball if the flag is out at the 7 min point, play until the flag is capped or returned or hockey-esque (just don't start the game until the 7 minute mark and that way noone can dispute if the flag was capped in time or not). Makes for a more balanced while also not too long game

As for banning, DH17 was much more effective last tournament especially when personal shields were allowed. However, I worry if we let personal shields become a thing again then the default class will become jetpack personal shield scatter which I think is more boring than what we have now. The DH17 is still used a good amount in this cargo tournament but E11 and EE3 have become top guns as well because cargo has a bit more distance to some gunfights because you're not just trying to advance all the time like in dropzone where you'd be willing to duck out of a gunfight to move closer to the pod. I feel the triangles banned as default is a good thing still.

As for the class specific type gameplay, it worked wonders on the old games. Delta and I were reminiscing yesterday on who were the top players of each class and I haven't played swbf2 for almost 10 years and I still remembered numerous names for each class from different clans. It's a shame they haven't given us a server browser still. For class specifics, it'd limit a team to one EE3, one E11, one DH17 and one shotgun. EE3 would be forced to use cycler as only starcard, DH 17 would be forced to use scout pistol only, E11 would get nades & ion nades/smoke, shotgun would be only class given jumppack and also given flashbangs. Last time the argument was it forced people into roles so a number of people didn't like it but seeing how cargo has kind of forced us into roles anyway (at least for my team) I don't see how people would want to play cargo and be opposed to class specific loadouts (These would be assigned before the game and you'd only be allowed 1 hand for the entirety of the match) And this would prove who can actually snipe bc pulse cannon op

I completely agree with you and i think we should use lacks idea of 7 minutes with your idea of the match ending when the cargo is returned. And you are right, the DH-17 was 10x more bothersome last tournament because Dropzone is nothing but slaying. Even when you add in personal shields those really just boil down to a waste of time and a clunky annoyance. The game has gotten so much more fun now that we are playing a really strategic gamemode and not using Triangle cards. But I do think it is to early to try a class-specific tournament and I think we should still try to be as inclusive as possible( while remaining competitive) to encourage new teams and players.

LAK
Competition Committee Member
PSN: LAK_Of_NOS
XBL: MetalSnorLAK

Post#24 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:38 pm

=BA=Deadman wrote:I personally am a fan of cargo and have had a lot of fun this tournament compared to last tournament which banked on partner spawns and team pushes because obviously you spawned 150 m away when your entire team died (but it's probably bc my teams been more successful this tournament too)

Someone pay this man hes the only god damn voice of reason in this cruel cruel world.

Ignore his last paragraph doe.
Show Userbars & Awards

xshoT
PSN: xshoT

Post#25 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:40 pm

{Delta} wrote:@TouchMyWookie I am not, if you could enlighten me.

@
xshoT
I think with a ladder there would have to be allowable options, including but not limited to, triangle cards on or off. Since it's a ladder, no one is forced to play, and like GB, you don't have to play by someone else's rules if you don't want to. Can either reach a compromise or not play at all if you can't. This could expand to choosing mode.

Another option is @
=BA=Deadman
and @
Stratto
's idea of class specific battle...have each player have a pre determined load out like on SWBF2.

Just another thing to note, I think the ladder should be a important tool to bring new players to the website, and competitive community. Having gateways such as advanced rules might deter people from playing. Having tournaments structured around certain rules is more understandable than just your average ladder. I've seen many ladders not be as active as they could because they over complicate themselves. I think the structure should be less strict to start, and narrow in on adjustments maybe a year or so from now when you can gauge how popular this thing can actually be. If the purpose of the ladder is to get this small community a way to play matches on a daily basis I think it will never reach its maximum potential. I really think the ladder should offer cargo, and drop zone as options to start, and no rules unless agreed upon by both teams. This way new players can be comfortable playing their matches, and existing teams can play anyway they want.

ROACHCLASS

Post#26 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:59 pm

I concur. Start simple and basic. Once the ladder gets flowing than implement more rules when you get an idea of how most teams are playing ban wise and such.

Remember you want to appeal to new players and get them to sign up and join. Here, it seems like the small, tight knit people who have been around are focusing on the community they already have. That is fine if you want this community to stick around and not grow. If you want to grow, start basic.

Just my opinion.
Twitter: ROACHCLASS
www.twitch.tv/roachclass
Scrub Central - "Believe The Hype"

Return to “Suggestions and Ideas”