SWBF2 Season 13?

Suggestions and ideas for the site, competitions, or other constructive critiques.
SG-17
Public Relations
Public Relations
PSN: SG-17

Re: SWBF2 Season 13?

Post#61 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:25 am

BoMbeR wrote:
SG-17 wrote:When's the last time any of you actually played SWBF1? It's so painfully stiff even compared to SWBF2, let alone modern games.

I play in the yearly tournament on swbfgamers every year on PC.

Both original games play very differently on PC than PS2. The framerate of the PS2 games barely hits 30, it usually hovers around 24. Plus, the sensitivity of the DualShock 2 isn't nearly as high as a mouse or the DualShock 4, so beyond the framerate the controls will feel slow and stiff.

The only non-PC version of the original games I can still play is the PSP version of SWBF2, on the Vita.

Mike
Public Relations Admin
Public Relations Admin
PSN: Mike_Fullerton

Post#62 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:39 pm

As an update to the storyline, I did wind up emailing Kalle (the GameMaster admin) myself. He told me that it wasn't a money issue, and that it was more time related. I kinda thought that once it was all setup he could just let it run, but he said he was doing a lot of updating for other games and security updates that he didn't have time for anymore so he would rather stop being involved. He also told me that the people at SWBFgamers would take up his work and we should be fine. Lastly told me that he is redirecting his GameMaster domains to the new workaround so that the PC players won't need to modify their .exe or hosts file for at least 1 more month.

He did also help the guys at SWBFgamers to set up the master server for PC. Apparently separate work goes into directing PS2 towards that via a DNS server. He didn't help them with that portion as much but did give some advice.

Their workaround, SWBFspy, isn't working fully yet for PS2, but Led, OldSnake, and Druken_Master on their website have all been helpful in looking into it. You guys can stay updated by following this tread: http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=10608.0
Currently their workaround runs into the patch problem, has an empty server list (stuck on "Busy 0" for awhile), and 4 mans result in host registration failed.

Anyway today I tried another DNS number today that is unrelated to SWBFspy called "Christians DNS" and it somehow gets to the server list and shows the server that Led from SWBFgamers put up. It doesn't really make sense to me as I think each separate DNS number would have a different server list associated with it but I guess not somehow. A user named JamesCableCar posted about it on the ps2onlinegaming forums.
If you set your primary DNS to 186.34.189.167 you will be able to see their 24 man server, and 4 mans also currently work.

The next thing to do would be to see if other people can put up bigger servers (downloadeds) and get them onto the server list. So if someone with a Windows computer (not me) wanted to help out, they could try downloading the files that OldSnake gave to SWBFgamers to see if they can get it up and running.
OldSnake wrote: here is the patched SWBFspy for ps2 swbf2 server exe.
https://mega.nz/#!WdYxhSoQ!py_faVaYWl75 ... 5nr6F6LFOc
in the folder there is the normal SWBFspy and fast spawn SWBFspy.
if you want slow spawn time use the normal exe. keep a backup copy of the original exe.
here is the download for the server http://www.gamewatcher.com/downloads/st ... erver-1-07
thanks Led for the server download link
[...]
you might want to update the sm and rm also http://www.fileplanet.com/184555/180000 ... r-v1.1-GUI

Basically you would download the .exes he made (one is modded to have no spawn timer so use the normal one for now to test). The you would download the dedicated server 1.07 folder and put his modded SWBFspy .exes in there and see if you can get them on the PS2 server list at 186.34.189.167 You could also try using the 1.1 dedicated server folder instead. I am unsure about this, but I think you need to rename the new files he provides to battlefrontii.exe to have the SM use it instead of the vanilla (GameSpy) one.

The other thing that could be helpful right now is finding out if this "Christians DNS" has a website or who runs it so we can figure out why it was able to have the SWBFgamers.com server on its list.

EDIT: There were actually 3 servers up a little while ago so other people do have the right .exes setup. If you guys have any luck with the ones OldSnake made then let me know. There's still 2 servers up at the moment.

Stern
Competition Committee Member
Clan Tag: STR
PSN: oSterNo

Post#63 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:04 pm

So the only servers up are downloaded ones, which cannot host a match without severe lag, and SWBFgamers, which we have no control over?

Mike
Public Relations Admin
Public Relations Admin

Post#64 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:57 pm

Stern wrote:So the only servers up are downloaded ones, which cannot host a match without severe lag, and SWBFgamers, which we have no control over?

Correct, however the SWBFgamers servers is a "paid for". It has a ping. So it is possible to get servers up on this list that we could use for matches, just need windows users to test it out pretty much.

Led

Post#65 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:17 pm

Hi, Led here from SWBFgamers.com

I have been searching for PS2 SWBF2 server information and found this post. (And also working with Mike and oldsnake/cuethemix to figure out why/how/why not PS2 servers are or are not working.)

I would be quite happy if you wanted to use our server to host PS2 events/servers. I am very familiar with SWBF1 but not so much with SWBF2. However, I understand that it comes with a server manager that can be accessed. If that is not convenient, I can give Mike remote desktop access.

The server is a professionally hosted VPS from NFOservers.com at their Chicago location (two core as listed on this page:
https://www.nfoservers.com/order-virtua ... server.php )

Other swbf/swbf2 servers run on it, but it is lightly loaded.

Mike
Public Relations Admin
Public Relations Admin

Post#66 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:21 pm

That would be totally awesome Led, it is possible for me to run remote manager on my Macbook, I have done it before.

It is basically working for now but, I still want to get to the bottom of this though so we can all be all the same DNS number and assured that is maintained, we just don't really have any info on Christian yet.

Led

Post#67 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:05 pm

I got pretty far in my ps2 emulator, but got stuck on the ethernet card part. I can play SWBF2 instant action though...

Anyway, I contacted Christian on PS2gamingonline and asked for his DNS settings. I have also made a couple of minor changes to my DNS server as well--hopefully for the better and not the worse. If you get a chance, please try to use my DNS number 74.91.125.138 and let me know if there is any improvement.

Thanks

Mike
Public Relations Admin
Public Relations Admin

Post#68 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:49 am

I responded in our thread on SWBFgamers but I'll post here too. The PS2 online emulator stuff is pretty complicated so I don't blame you, I have mine working for offline modes but I never did get the online setup. I was looking into its viability some time ago as a possible solution for older players who got rid of their PS2s and didn't want to buy a new one. I came to the conclusion that it would probably be wayyy too complicated and much easier to just buy a PS2, but I could potentially try to help someone if they really wanted to do this. The guides I read made it seem like you needed a physical PS2 anyway, and you had to put PS2 games into your computer's disc drive to retrieve DNAS data off of them or something.

About the testing, I will be home with my PS2 tomorrow night and I should be able to test it then. It will probably be kinda late that I do the testing though because I have a couple things planned tomorrow, namely an episode of State of the BFC (our show) at 9 and my team is also scheduled to play at least one ladder match on Battlefront 3. That's happening around 10:30 eastern. So hopefully I can test it around midnight, or maybe sooner depending on what happens.

There's also a lot of other PS2 players here and one of them might be able to test sooner. So, if you guys want to help, try setting Primary DNS 74.91.125.138 and leaving Secondary DNS at 0.0.0.0 and post here what happens. See if you can get to the server list and also check what happens when you try to put up a 4 man via create. I would advise doing "enter without logging in" at the GameSpy screen for testing purposes.

Phantom
Competition Committee Member
Clan Tag: RoR
PSN: xIPhantomIx

Post#69 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:01 am

Mike wrote:I responded in our thread on SWBFgamers but I'll post here too. The PS2 online emulator stuff is pretty complicated so I don't blame you, I have mine working for offline modes but I never did get the online setup. I was looking into its viability some time ago as a possible solution for older players who got rid of their PS2s and didn't want to buy a new one. I came to the conclusion that it would probably be wayyy too complicated and much easier to just buy a PS2, but I could potentially try to help someone if they really wanted to do this. The guides I read made it seem like you needed a physical PS2 anyway, and you had to put PS2 games into your computer's disc drive to retrieve DNAS data off of them or something.

I've tried the PS2 Emulator last season to see if it lags less for EU players. After a while I got everything working and was able to play in your servers but the lag even increased and I got some fps problems.

Mike
Public Relations Admin
Public Relations Admin

Post#70 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:27 am

Phantom wrote:I've tried the PS2 Emulator last season to see if it lags less for EU players. After a while I got everything working and was able to play in your servers but the lag even increased and I got some fps problems.

Oh really? I didn't know, that's cool, what was the hardest part? And yea the FPS could vary depending on a person's computer so actual PS2 might be better.

Also, everybody, thanks to the changes that @
Led
made earlier tonight, SWBF2 is up and running on the SWBFspy DNS. Use 74.91.125.138 as Primary DNS on your PS2 to get to the server list and play.
You can also create a GameSpy ID and login to it, but the buddies list and leaderboard might make you get the "Lost connection to GameSpy" message if you do this.

For those of you wanting to play Battlefront 1, I just tried it and that is also working! Its funny, there are actually more servers on PS2 Battlefront 1 than PS2 Battlefront 2 right now. There are 3 servers up, I don't think I've played in anything bigger than a 4 man for this game really.

If you guys want to host a server you have 2 options:

Option 1 download the .exe that OldSnake made and use it in place of your vanilla or GameMaster .exe.
https://mega.nz/#!WdYxhSoQ!py_faVaYWl75 ... 5nr6F6LFOc

Option 2 edit your hosts file. This is what Dracula is using and his server is up right now. You would need to edit the hosts file on the computer you are hosting the server from and put this in there. His hosts file looks like this:

Code: Select all

162.248.92.172 swbfront2ps2.ms4.gamespy.com
162.248.92.172 swbfront2ps2.available.gamespy.com
162.248.92.172 available.gamespy.com
162.248.92.172 master.gamespy.com
162.248.92.172 swbfront2ps2.master.gamespy.com
162.248.92.172 motd.gamespy.com
162.248.92.172 key.gamespy.com
162.248.92.172 peerchat.gamespy.com
162.248.92.172 gpsp.gamespy.com
162.248.92.172 gpcm.gamespy.com
162.248.92.172 natneg1.gamespy.com

I am not an expert on where the host file is located on Windows computers but its basically just copy pasting this into that file. Those of you that have done it before should be able to do this easily

Shoutouts to Led, OldSnake, Drunken_Master, xCrI$TiAhNx, Anthony, Phobos, Jedikiller, Kalle, Kintaro, Kratos, Scarz, JamesCableCar, and everyone else involved in getting GameMaster replaced with a new workaround and doing testing. I will try to update my guides when I get the chance.

If people have issues connecting to SWBFspy for whatever reason, players can also use 186.34.189.167 as their Primary DNS. This is Christian's DNS and it should bring you to the same server list that SWBFspy does.

Return to “Suggestions and Ideas”